Top Ten Tuesday: Books I've Read So Far This Year

Way back in January I set myself the target of reading thirty books this year, and I'm proud to say that I hit that target yesterday! Think I'm going to extend it to eighty, a hundred seems like a bit of a push even for me! Out of the thirty books I've read, I actually found it relatively easy to choose my top five - there were a few books that really blew me away- but the other five were a little trickier. So anyway, without further ado, here are my top ten books that I've read so far this year, with links to my glowing reviews of them!


1) The Illusionists - As soon as I read the blurb for this amazing novel I was hooked! All I can say is read it right now!

"5/5 stars: So much more than a love story, The Illusionists is a story of friendship and fellowship, of magic and illusion, of life and death. It is the most absorbing and atmospheric book that I have read this year by a mile! Read it and you won't be disappointed."
(see full review)




2) The Time Traveler's Wife - Poignant and thought-provoking, I can't believe I waited so long to read it. As soon as I finished it I gave it straight to my sister and implored her to read it too.

"5/5 stars: A moving tale of the girl who waited, and the man she was destined to love."
(see full review)





3) Water for Elephants - Such a unique novel, and I'm so glad that I read it before I saw the film adaptation.

"5/5 stars: As intoxicating as moonshine; not an easy read but a gripping tale of humans and animals living side by side on a circus train heading for tragedy."
(see full review)




4) The Edge of Never - Picked this up on a whim to see what all the fuss was about, and I was blown away. It's a little unbelievable in places, but my scepticism aside it's well worth reading.

"5/5 stars: Sweet, sexy and compelling, The Edge of Never definitely lives up to the hype." 
(see full review)






5) Season of Light - Another novel that surprised me. The French Revolution meets Jane Austen.

"5/5 stars: In the words of a review by The Guardian Season of Light is "one of those books so intensely alive in the past that it makes the world you actually live in feel flimsy and thin." Safe to say that I will definitely be reading more of McMahon's work!"
(see full review)





6) Waiting for Sunrise - Boyd at his best.

"4/5 stars: a gripping tale of a man thrust into the world of espionage set against the backdrop of the First World War."
(see full review)






7) Solo - I've always been a sucker for all things James Bond, and although it was a little gritty for my liking - in all honesty I prefer the glamour of the original novels and films - it's a worthy addition to the Bond franchise.

"4/5 stars:  An interesting addition to the Bond franchise which is by no means badly written, but fans of the more gritty Daniel Craig films may appreciate the plot more than I did. Bond is back, literally with a vengeance."
(see full review)




8) Once Upon a Masquerade - This spin on the classic Cinderella story is compelling stuff- I read it pretty much in one sitting!

"5/5 stars: Cinderella with a twist; an enchanting read that will hold your attention from start to finish, perfect for lovers of fairytales and historical fiction, with enough action and adventure to appeal to the more cynical romantic."
(see full review)




9) Once Upon a Wager - Another ARC that I read in one go! This is a classic case of  'don't judge a book by its cover', and I'm so glad that I didn't!

"5/5 stars: Compelling and heartwarming without being overly sentimental, Once Upon a Wager is a book that I would highly recommend. A refreshingly different historical romance." (see full review)






10) Hook's Pan - If you like Peter Pan/Fairytales then you'll love this! Don't be put off by the cover!

"5/5 stars - Witty, compelling, and set in the most magical of fictional worlds, Hook's Pan is a book that you'll want to read over and over again."
(see full review)




Looking back at this I really should have done this list in reverse order, never mind!

Honourable mention goes to The Vintage Girl by Hester Browne that I finished yesterday after I'd scheduled this post.. I haven't had time to gather my thoughts on it yet but it's definitely in my top 5, I just don't have time to edit it in!

I'm off on holiday almost as soon as this post is published, so any views/comments/follows will be returned as soon as I get back. Please do leave links to your lists though, I'd love to read them! Have a great week everyone! :)


Comments

  1. I've been in a such a new adult mood recently, due to which I've been eyeing The Edge of Never. A lot people seem to love it, so I think I should check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is brilliant! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Nice picks! These are all totally new to me!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you posted about The Illusionists I've been very curious ... may have to wait for the paperback though. Some VERY intriguing picks!

    My own Top Ten Tuesday is here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely brilliant! My copy was from the library, but I might have to buy it when it comes out in paperback so I can read it again someday!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: One Summer in Tuscany by Domenica De Rosa

Feature and Follow Friday: Featured Blogger!

Review: The Wardrobe Mistress by Natalie Meg Evans