Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Reading is something I have always adored. I'm pretty new to blogging, but I've quickly grown to love it. These are just a few of the reasons why I love being both a reader and a blogger.
1) The most important reason of all to me: it gives me an excuse to read all the time! I carry a book everywhere with me just in case, and to say that my Kindle app is overloaded is an understatement.
2) Being an English graduate reading critically comes easily to me, but since I've left university degree related work is hard to come by. Blogging helps me keep up my reading and writing skills, gives me something to show for my time spent at home, and makes me feel like I'm not wasting my degree.
3) Escapism. People often tell me I live with my head in the clouds, and I'm inclined to believe them. Reading to me is like magic; it can transport you to places beyond your wildest dreams, and when you return to the real world you can't help but feel a bit dazed and long for your next adventure.
4) I LOVE writing! Something people never used to understand about me at university was that I actually sort of enjoyed writing essays, minus the deadlines of course.
5) Blogging gives me an excuse to re-read old favourites and discover new books that I otherwise might not have heard of. A large proportion of my TBR list is made up of books that caught my eye on other people's blogs.
6) Very few of my friends in real life are readers, so it's nice to know that there is always a place here for me to discuss my favourite subject with like-minded book lovers.
7) ARCs! Knowing that you're reading a book before anyone else, sometimes even before it's been published, makes reading it all the more exciting.
8) I think it was Hemingway that said 'there is no friend as loyal as a book'. Day or night they are always there, and sometimes it's just nice to forget about your problems and read about someone else's!
9) Reading is endless. Unlike your favourite TV show, you will never, ever run out of things to read. For every film you like there'll be a hundred books similar in genre and theme; just look at all the fiction inspired by Downton and Gatsby. There is literally something for everyone, and there always will be.
10) Blogging has also got me back into reading more frequently. I lost enthusiasm for it a little at university, but now there's no deadlines and no set books to read I've learned to love it again. Writing about books that I've chosen makes a huge difference to my willingness to go to bed early and read.
How about you? What is it about reading and blogging that you love?